Monday, April 25, 2011

Selfless Love

This past weekend was Easter weekend.  A weekend where we remember the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.  In the midst of all the bunnies, eggs, and chocolate we still celebrate the fact that our God is alive...just as much as He has always been. 

This morning (Monday morning), I woke up extremely early (3:30am) and began thinking about all the lessons that we can learn from Jesus during His life here on earth.  He was, is, and forever will be a perfect man, but never did He "throw that in our faces".  He was so humble.  A man who had every reason to be self-righteous, never was.  He ALWAYS recognized that what He had came from His Father.  He truly was a man of love.  People until today are drawn to Him because of the selfless love.  It's such an amazing thing...to know that a perfect man could love you no matter what. 

As my mind wondered thinking about Jesus' attributes and all the things we could learn from Him, I was so amazed at how much more we would enjoy life if we were to just follow His example.  Many times we take a verse that convenient for us and throw it around like a sword to force people to act a certain way, but we forget about the verses we should use to better our own lives...and ultimately the verses that shield us.  To be on the offensive all the time is exhausting...and will ultimately lead to frustration and defeat.  If we were to focus on building our shield...on the attributes that will protect us for the circumstances of this life and the attacts from the enemy, we would be so exhausted and wounded when we must attack.

There are so many attributes of Jesus I could talk about, but His selflessness is the one that intruiges me the most.  This man would do things for people and expect nothing in return.  It was all out of love...selfless love.  Many of those who know me, know that I get very upset when I see people do "favors" for people and expect things in return.  It hurts me to see how selfish the world has gotten.  Don't get me wrong, I have my fare share of selfish moments, but when I do something for someone I do not expect to get anything back. 

I know that I get taken advantage of a lot...I get hurt and upset because people "know" they can step on me, but I just can't and won't become someone who does things for people because of what the return as for me.  The bible says "Give and you shall receive", but it doesn't mean that you should impose the receipt....it will just come your way.  And sometimes just the act of giving will be all the receiving that you need...when you can see the joy and gratitude in someone.  Today, I don't suffer the leven of disappointment I use to feel because with time you become wise.  You learn when and to whom to give to.  You also cannot always expect people to be grateful...but that's all a part of being selfless.  At times it's painful.

Jesus in His most selfless act, died.  He died simply because He had to in order to give us life.  In those hours of suffering, At a point, the physical, emotional, and spiritual pain was so great He didn't want to be there anymore, BUT His goal was to make sure His Father's will was fulfilled.  That day, He gave us a gift and He knew that many wouldn't appreciate it.  Many would put it away and never look at it.  Many would spit on it or throw it in the garbage, but He still did it.  Not because of what He would get in return but because He loves us.  Would you buy a gift for something if you KNEW it would be thrown away??  If you would, I'm sure you would buy the most inexpensive gift possible.  and that is the difference.  Jesus gave us a priceless gift...one that is so expensive you can't even put a price on it.  He knew that people would throw it away...but he did it anyway.  That is a man that we can look to as an example of how to live.

There are people who go to church multiple times a week:  they many be preachers, church leaders, members of the worship team, sunday school teachers, seminary teachers, or just someone who serves in every area of the church as much as they can, but they still don't KNOW Christ.  Jesus is someone they know about, someone they've been taught about, and in many cases someone they teach about...BUT Jesus should be someone you live about, someone you act about, and someone you love about.  You can and must speak of Jesus, but we must live Jesus.  Jesus lived...and lives.  So let's follow His example...live more, talk less. 

If you look around and find you are alone and people want nothing to do with you...or you find that everyone is so flawed that you want nothing to do with most people you know...I think it's time you start talking and thinking less and start living more.  If people are drawn to you as they were to Jesus, than we must stop, think, and figure out what it is that we need to change in our lives.  I encourage us all, incuding myself, to take some time after reading this and take a look at the Fruit of the Spirit.  I truly believe we will all come to a realization after doing so, again, including myself.

If you read this far, thank you.  Thank you for listening to me ramble on with my thoughts.  I don't blog a lot, but when i do, it's because I feel led to.  May you be blessed.

With lots of love in my heart for all you readers, whether I know you or not,
Andi

No comments:

Post a Comment