Friday, May 6, 2011

12 Mile Trail Run - How I Fell in Love With Running...Again

Yesterday morning, at 5am, while it was still very much dark, I headed out for a long run.  It was the most fun and exciting run I have ever been on.  Let me explain...

In June, I will be running my first trail marathon at The North Face Challenge in Washington DC.  I am very excited about this race, not only because it's my first trail race, but because I will be able to meet Dean Karnazes.  He is the first professional runner I learned of when I started running and I have read every book he has written.  There aren't many people in the world I want to meet, but he is one of the few on my list and I'm so happy I will get to place a check mark next to his name in June. 

As exciting as it will be to meet Dean, I actually need to train for this race.  This challenge includes a 5K, 10K, half, marathon relay, marathon, 50K, and 50 miler.  I've learned that I am a sucker for pain when it comes to running so I signed up for the marathon.  I mean, if I'm going to meet the guy that ran across the country, pretty much twice, then I can challenge myself a bit. 

I am very fortunate that there are plenty of places for me to train on trails.  It is different from road racing and your body needs to get use to it.  I have been training on trails for months now, but it has always been shorter distances.  Yesterday, that all changed.  As I was planning my long run, I mixed trails and road because where I am at the moment allows me to do that.  For the first time, I would be doing more than 3 miles on a trail.

Preparing for a long run, is important because it will help you prepare for a race as well.  This is how you learn what works for you.  You should never try anything new during a race.  I spent the day before my long run preparing.  Preparing should include not only your gear, but also your nutrition and hydration.  I made sure I drank plenty of water and ate sufficient amount of carbs.  I prepared my Camelbak (hydration pack) and packed everything in it I would need.  Then I checked the weather for the morning and layed out my clothes.  At 9:30pm I set my alarm clock for 4:45am and went to bed.  All of these measures were important and would dictate my success.

I woke up at 4am and couldn't go back to sleep because I was so anxious to get on with this run.  I ate a banana and drank water as I read my Runner's World magazine.  Then I began to get ready.  Before I put on my socks, I taped my foot because I was having some arch pain.  I put on my hydration pack and wrapped a reflective belt around my waste.  Lastly, I put on my garmin watch and I was ready.

I walked a bit less than a quarter mile to warm up.  I had on long sleeves and was freezing...actually, it was so bad my lips were shaking.  I think it was a little of nerves to.  It was still dark and when I started running I actually thought of Dean because after watching his movies and reading his books it's quite obvious he runs a lot at night.  I quickly learned that there is something I didn't have and NEED to have...a head lamp.  There I was running on a trail at the side of the road...a few cars would pass providing me light, but at times I could barely see. 

The first few miles of the run were the most exhilarating time I had ever had running.  I really wished I had a headlamp, but running in the dark at that moment was just so much fun.  I almost fell on my face a few times, but it was so exciting.  I was running at a slow and steady include for almost a mile and didn't even feel it that much because of how much fun I was having.  I had on the reflective belt so I wasn't worried about the cars, but I was worried about what could come out from the trees and eat or bite me...I actually think it helped me run faster...I just wanted to get past that point.  The funny thing is that once I made it out of the trails and onto the road, the sun started rising.  Running on pavement in the dark is definitely now as fun as on a trail.  Needless to say, I will be purchasing a headlamp this weekend.

As soon as I arrived home, I ate a spoon of almond butter to get in protein as quickly as I could.  Protein helps muscle recovery.  I then made 2 hard boiled eggs and my normal morning routine began.  During breakfast, I usually eat Oatmeal, but because I wanted to make sure I ate enough protein to recover properly, I made an egg salad with my 2 hard boiled eggs. 

During lunch, my legs were feeling a bit heavy and I was having a bit of a dull pain on my right knee, so I stretched, iced, and massaged my legs:  a routine i usually follow after a race.  I wanted to make sure I rested because rest is essential for recovery...and to become stronger, so I made sure I went to bed early.  This morning I woke up and felt not one ache in my body.  SUCCESS.

My preparation and post race habits really work.  I have been running for over 2 years and just as any thing is, it's all about trial and error.  I have had good races and bad races.  With each of them I learned more about me and what my body needs.  What works and what doesn't.  Every runner is different so you have to try different things. 

Each day I feel more like a runner.  I am learning more and more about this sport.  I'm falling in love with it each and every week.  Why?  Because there is always a new challenge.  Once you pass one hurdle, there will be another.  There is always room for improvement.  I find such a thrill in reaching the next challenge because I have learned that I can do it.  If I train and stay focused, my body can do it. 

This week's long run was a turning point.  I realized why I love this sport.  This sport is for anyone...anyone who decides they can do anything.  You start off with baby steps and you just keep learning and growing.  Each week you get better, each month you go farther, each year you go faster.  It's amazing!  I'm ready for my trail marathon.  I've fallen in love with running all over again!

If you know people who run and you ask, why? how?  I challenge you to try it.  It's not for everyone, but give it a try.  You don't have to start running 3 miles, but just start.  Start with 1 block, the next week go 2 blocks... eventually you'll find yourself running 1 mile worth of blocks.  The feeling of accomplishment amazing.

If I can do it, you can too.  JUST DO IT -Nike
Andi

No comments:

Post a Comment